Imagine inheriting a house full of art that had been collected over a span of 60 years. That’s exactly what happened several years ago, when my sister and I were heirs to our parents’ prized art possessions which ran the gamut from mundane to museum quality. We were then faced with the difficult decision of finding the right home for the works of art that my parents had treasured during their lifetimes.
I started Plan Art LLC to help other families engage in the discussion around identifying and valuing the works of art they either inherited or spent years collecting and loving. For most individuals, the conversation around the transference of family art takes place for the first time at the passing of at least one of the parents, or life partners. Most families are not prepared to deal with the unique decisions that accompany valuing, then selling or donating works of art and collectibles.
I have more than 30 years of experience in providing diversified wealth management services and helping clients realize their investment, estate planning and philanthropic goals. Plan Art was formed to help families determine planning and transfer options for their art assets. This includes art collection analysis, assigning an approximate market value to the works in the collection, obtaining the appropriate appraisal, if necessary, and identifying transfer options such as keeping, selling or donating art.
- Board of Directors, Orange County Museum of Art
- Faculty, Institute for Preparing Heirs
- Former Board Director, Ryman Arts
- Appraisers Association of America (AAA) Associate 2019; USPAP compliant through 2022
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), CFA Institute (1990)
- Shoutout LA, November 30, 2020; How to think through whether you should start a business
- American Bar Association (ABA); RPTE eReport Winter 2020; Art and Collectibles: The Missing Piece of the Estate Planning Puzzle
- Client University, The Doolin Group at Morgan Stanley, January 2020, Inheriting Art and Collectibles – Steps to Ensure Your Family’s Collection Lands in the Right Hands
- Philharmonic Society of Orange County, February 2019, Let Me Count the Ways
- Financial Planning Association (FPA) of Orange County; Orange County Tax & Financial Forum; October 2018, Tax and Financial Implications Relating to Art and Other Collectibles
- Orange County Community Foundation, June 2018, Panel: Living Your Legacy
- BNY Mellon Wealth Management, March 2018, Panel: Unique Asset Series
- Laguna Art Museum, May 2017, Panel: Collector, Advisor, Museum