I used to love Joan River’s signature line, “Can We Talk”. You never knew what would be the topic du jour, but you always knew that it would be fun, bold and a bit over the top. Talking about art succession won’t necessarily be “over the top”, but it is a topic of conversation that needs to take place for any one who has accumulated prized possessions over his or her lifetime. From wine and fancy cars, to figurines and 21st century art, at some point the joy of collecting will turn into the angst of not knowing what to do with all this “stuff”. Think your kids will want it? Think again! But surprisingly, so few people actually sit down with their family to discuss their prized possessions. Perhaps the first step in art succession planning is asking your kids, “Can We Talk?”
- Relatives, Relationships and other Related Uses
- Value versus Valuation: What’s it Worth to you?
- The Golden Age and Black Mondays. Taking Stock of Market History
- The Contradiction of Heirlooms and Keepsakes. Your kids don’t want them. And no one is talking about it.
- The Art-ful Exit Strategy. Maximizing The Emotional and Financial Return on Your Art Collection.